Jennett Nicol

JENNETT NICOL was born April 15, 1837 at Lockgally, Fifenshire, Scotland, the eighthof twelve children born to Thomas Nicol III, and his wife Elizabeth Dryber.

Jennett's early years were spent in the mining area of Lochgelly and Donibristle with her family. They were visited by missionaries of the L.D.S. Church, heard their message and were converted to the faith.

On the 2nd September 1849, Jennett's oldest brothel Thomas Nicol IV, his wife Elizabeth, brother Walter, and daughter Catherine sailed from Liverpool on the ship “James Pennell” to New Orleans. He traveled up river to St. Louis where he obtained work in the mines. He saved the money earned as a coal miner to bring his family to America and sent back to Scotland for his parents and their family, Thomas III, Elizabeth, James, Annie, Archibald, Jennett , Catherine, George and Alexander.

They sailed from Liverpool on October 2; 1850, aboard the ship "James Pennell". The crossing was marred by illness and accident. Jennett's small nephew died and was buried at sea. They were blown by a storm out to sea in the Gulf of Mexico. After drifting for several days, they were found and towed back to New Orleans. They landed at New Orleans and went on to St. Louis where they made their new home. Here they were joined in 1852 by Jennett's older brother John and her sister and brother-in-law, Elizabeth and Duncan McKinzie and their two small children Hector and Elizabeth.

Their happiness together was short lived. Jennett's mother, Elizabeth Dryber Nicol died July 17, 1852, and this was followed shortly by a tragic cholera epidemic in which seven members of the family died in the third week of August 1852. Jennett's father Thomas, her sister Elizabeth McKinzie, her brothers James and John and two nephews and a niece, Thomas Nicol 5th, George, Elizabeth, children of Thomas Nicol 4th were mortally stricken by the disease.

Heartbroken and discouraged by such tragic circumstances, Jennett's brother Thomas felt he could not bear to stay in St. Louis, so he decided to go to Utah and make a home for them all. Jennett and her brother Archibald accompanied Thomas and his wife Elizabeth Watson Nicol to Iowa City to be outfitted for the journey west. Jennett's sister Ann had married James Day in St. Louis. Thomas turned over his home and goods to the couple who agreed to keep the smaller children as Thomas could not care for them at the time. The small group left Iowa City for Salt Lake in the David Wilkin Company June 1 1853, and arrived in Salt lake September 9, 1853.

June 11, 1854, a few months after her arrival in Salt Lake, Jennett was married to Hugh Moon at the Council Housed by President Brigham Young, just a few minutes after he had been married to Elizabeth Kemmish, a girl her own age (17). Her first five children were born in Salt Lake and when Hugh Moon was called to the St. George Mission, her sixth child was nearly due. Lydia, Ephriam Thomas, Manassah, Benjamin and little Jennett were quite a handful to take care of, as Jennett prepared for and began the long trip to Dixie. Ten days later, at Buttermilk Fort near Holden, Utah, her son Levi was born.

At St. George she suffered the same hardships as the other pioneers. Her daughter Jennett died in 1864 and two more children Reuben and Maryett were born to her. Her heart went out the Maria's little boy Hugh, so far from his mother that she treated him as her own. They lived in a dugout and tent. Jennett was a very ambitious woman and loved housework. The primitive conditions in St. George upset her ideas of a spotless home, but her children remembered that she spent every effort to make their quarters as livable and homey as possible. Hugh Moon was ill with Malaria and was not able to care for the families there. Jennett had a hard time feeding nine small children and keeping them clothed. They ate leek and lucerne greens and bran bread mostly.

Hugh and the two families returned to Salt Lake from St. George in June 1866, and in July Jennett's ninth child William Henry was born. She stayed on the Salt Lake property while Hugh tried to get his affairs in order. Her son William Henry died there, aged 16 months. On March 20, 1868, she moved to the farm at Farmington where her son Heber was born the following August.

After Hugh Moon Sought property in Oneida County, Jennett moved May 5, 1869 to Henderson Creek, where she lived in a two room log house at the site of what is now known as the late C. W. Bell's home. Her son John was born there in June 1870. The following September her husband, Hugh Moon died. Jennett was left a widow at thirty three, with nine living children, the oldest fifteen, the youngest, three months old. Lydia, Ephriam and Manassah were old enough to help with the stock, farm work and garden. Jennett managed the farm and they did not go hungry. Heber remembered how his mother stored her butter until she had enough to take into Malad and sell. From the butter money the children could be certain of getting some little article for themselves.

On June 16, 1872, Jennett married Fred Stockfeld whom she later divorced. (the marriage entry spells the last name STOCKFELD). Two children were born to them, Ann Jennett who married Nathaniel Robertson, and a child who died at birth. She still managed her farm and family. Poverty was her constant companion, but she kept her home clean, and her children's clothes clean and well patched. Heber remembered that if a hole wore through his overalls, he ran around with his hand over the place where he figured the hole was until it was patched and Levi said "Mother always kept her family well patched, many times she would tear off an old patch that had worn through and put on a new one. She was always patching and sewing, just before her death, she made dresses for her grandsons, John Wells Moon, and William Earnest Wells. She loved her children and grandchildren. Her children's welfare was always her first consideration. She tried to have all the advantages possible for them. She helped organise the first school in Henderson Creek. It was held in her home in 1877. Joseph Pulley taught for one month and Moroni Reese taught the rest of the winter months. Her small house was always filled with neighbour children. Dora Prothero (married Levi Moon) lived nearby and told "when I was a little girl, I visited Grandmother Moon often. She was very kind and a good cook. I will always remember the lovely bread and butter she gave me whenever I came there. It tasted as good as cake does now or better". Jennett used to knit, stockings and other articles for her family. Dora continues "I used to love to watch Grandmother Moon knit because she would be knitting along and fall asleep. While sleeping she would continue knitting, but the second she dropped a stitch, she would wake up, pick up the stitch and continue with her knitting."

Jennett loved the farm, which was part of Hugh Moon's homestead there at Henderson Creek. On June 16, 1832, Jennett Stockfeld (spelled Stockfeldt in this property transfer) sold the homestead to her son Manassah Moon. Shortly after, Jennett married William Bradbury and moved into Malad. One child was born to them which died at birth. She often went by stage to Henderson Creek to visit her children there. Of course, the younger ones stayed with her. She was a good cook. Levi tells, mother was an excellent cook. Whenever there as any call for food to be cooked for different activities in Malad, they always called on her to help with the cooking. She cooked many things of course, but I particular remember her steamed puddings. She used to cook them in 50 pound flour sacks. This was done by dampening the sack and flouring the insides before putting the dough in. After the dough was put in the sack it was lowered into a large kettle of Soiling water and cooked. This pudding was always light and moist. I can never remember sitting at mother's table when there wasn't a large crowd always several besides her own family.

After Manassah's tragic death, his estate sold the Moon homestead to William Bradbury and on September 8, 1585, he deeded It to his wife Jennett for the "love and affection" she had bestowed on him. Just before her death she sold it to her son Ephriam Thomas. According the Joe Aldridge, she managed her farm wonderfully and raised beautiful Morgan horses "the most beautiful in the Malad area".

Compiled history from the research and personal reminiscences of the following: Mrs.Oscar (Ida M.) Kirkham, Amy Moon, LaVerne Ward, Irene Weaver and Ora Moon West.

By: J. Howard Moon

Moon Family Home Page

Email me on: