Hugh Moon 1815-1870
HUGH MOON 1815-1870
Hugh Moon and Jennett Nicol are my Great Great Grandfather and Grandmother.
The following are notes from Hugh Moons journal.
Hugh Moon was born in Lanceshire, England August 5, at 10 o'clock in the morning in the year of our Lord, 1815. He was the fifth son of Mathias Moon(1776-1839), who was the son of William Moon(1735-1810), his father was Henry Moon(1698-1771). This William Moon married a woman by the name of Hannah Kerefoot and had seven sons born unto them; Henry, John, Mathias, Edward, William, Thomas and Robert Moon. Mathias Moon married a woman by the name of Alice Plumb and had five sons and four daughters; they are as follows;

Hannah Eccleston, Lanceshire, England 29, May 18021:00 AM
Dorothy Eccleston, Lanceshire, England 09, Feb. 1804 7:00 AM
Richard Eccleston, Lanceshire, England 10, June 18054:00 AM
William Eccleston, Lanceshire, England 25, Apr. 18071:00 AM
John Eccleston, Lanceshire, England 02, July 18097:00 PM
Lydia Eccleston, Lanceshire, England 09, Oct. 1811 7:00 AM
Thomas Eccleston, Lanceshire, England 30, Sept. 18136:00 AM
Hugh Eccleston, Lanceshire, England 05, Aug. 181510:00 AM
Alice Eccleston, Lanceshire, England 31, July 181810:00 PM

My Grandfather was a strictly honest and upright man. He belonged to the Church of England. My father also belonged to the Church for some twenty years, then he joined the Methodists. He belonged to the Methodists for about forty years, then two men by the names of Orson Hyde and Heber C. Kimball came from America preaching the words of Eternal Life. He heard them talk and preach, he believed and was baptized with all in his house. He lived a few years enjoying the blessings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which he had lived for and hoped to see, he died with the hopes of a glorious resurrection.

I was the youngest son of my parents. They were not very rich and were not able to give me much schooling. When I was fourteen years of age, I bought books to instruct myself. I learned to read well, then I studied figures until I got a knowledge of them. I was beginning to study the Latin language when the true gospel came to my father's house, then I turned my attention entirely to the study of the Bible and the principles of the everlasting gospel.

My brother John was traveling through the country places selling tea, coffee, spices, etc., when he was called to go out and preach, and I took his place traveling, yet I ceased not in bearing testimony to the truth we had received. Many would fail against it but the honest would believe.

I sold out to a man by the name of William Moon, a Roman Catholic. He was very much astonished to hear me talk to my customers when he went with me to learn the place and customs, but he hardened his heart and rejected the truth.

When I was a boy, I worked with my father on the farm. He used to instruct me in the great many righteous principles which were engraved on my heart in the days of my youth, and which I shall never forget. May god reward him for all his diligence to teach children true principles, that the day when the trumpet shall sound and awake the dead and Christ may come forth to inherit eternal life and to stand at the head of his family.

These men told us that God required all his people to gather together on the land of America because He was about to destroy the wicked and ungodly from off the face of the earth. After the death of my father we sold all our property that we could not take with us to start to the land of America. Brother Heber C. Kimball told me to write everything that transpired down in my journal from the time we left home.

We left Penworthen to go Liverpool and take shipping for America on the 30th day of May 1840.

We got all our luggage on board that night. We bought some more provisions the next day. On June 2nd, we bought Richard Moon, my oldest brother 36 yards of linen for a tent. When we returned to the ship, which was called the Britannia, we found Elders Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball aboard. They had stretched a curtain across our cabin and commenced blessing the company. They bid us walk in. They showed us the way and gave us directions about the route we should take to Commerce (Nauvoo).

June 05, 1840 - We went out into the river about 2 o'clock.

June 06 - About 4 o'clock we were let loose in the river and set sail.

June 07 - Sunday, most of us were sick.

June 08 - We had a strong and boisterous wind.

June 09 - Some of us began to get a little better. From about this time to the 18th the of June we had much sickness: sea sickness and flucks. We had a strong head wind.

June 19 - The passengers were aroused to much excitement by the sailors beating the old cook, the captain and the first and second mates were called. They laid hold of the sailor who began to fight, to put him in chains, but all the balance took sides with him. After quite a stir they got the sailors quieted down again.

June 28 - We had a fine day but with much sickness aboard.

July 02 - We got to the banks of Newfoundland, saw a fishing craft and bought some fish.

July 17, 1840 - We cast anchor in sight of New York City. We stopped in the river two days then come to the city where we stayed for eight days. I took a bad cold in the banks of Newfoundland, the glands of both my ears fell. I could neither sleep, speak, eat nor drink anything. They carried me to Brother Addison Everett's room. William W. Rust gave me some medicine which opened my throat; Sister Everett nursed me with all the care of a mother until I could be moved again.

July 28 - We took the steamboat for Philadelphia, sailed two hours and fifteen minutes, took the railway two hours and twenty-two minutes and then the steamboat, again and reached Philadelphia at 3 o'clock.

July 30 - I left Philadelphia for Pittsburgh.

August 6 - Got to Pittsburgh about ten o'clock at night.

August 7 - Rented a house in Pirastown, Pittsburgh.

August 21 - Crossed the Allegheny River, rented a house in Allegheny.

October 2 - Thomas Moon died at 10:25 P.M. of bilious fever.

October 9 - Moved out into the country about 15 miles and rented a log house in Pine Township. The waters were so low we could not travel so we went into the country to thresh grain until spring.

January 19, 1841 - Henry Moon, My uncle died at aged 71 years.

April 3 - Went to Pittsburgh, put our things on a boat by the name of William Penn.

April 4 - Started up the river, got to Wheeling at 6 o'clock.

April 7 - Touched at Cincinnati.

April 12 - Got to St. Louis.

April 16 - Got to Montrose, saw my Aunt Lydia and Brother William Clayton. He helped us move our luggage to a log cabin half a mile from the river.

April 20 - We got Uncle Thomas Moon's oxen and moved to a log cabin about three miles from Montrose.

Myself and my brother John and a young man by the name of Henry Moon, who married my sister Lydia, went to work ditching for a man by the name of Bosher. We did not work long before we all got sick of the fever and ague. I got so low they could not tell whether I was living or dead, but I finally came too again and lived through it. My mother took a heavy chill, gave it up and took to her bed. She had a short but severe illness and on August 14, 1841 she died.

December 9 - We came down to Montrose to a log house owned by Bates Nobles. Myself my brother John and three sisters, Hannah, Dorothy and Alice.We lived in Montrose for two or three years. We rented land from a man by the name of Kilburn. We bought a claim in Jack Oak Grove and partially built a house, fenced a small patch of land and then sold out.

January 12, 1845 - I was ordained a High Priest in the Masonic Hall at Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois, I have only spoken of a very few things in the history of my young day, which if not interesting to a stranger, may be to my posterity in a day to come.

While we were living at Nauvoo, I formed the acquaintance of Maria Emaline Mott, daughter of Abel Mott who lived on the bluff about 3 miles from Montrose. At the time of the mobbing at Nauvoo, myself and two sisters and our brother John came over to Montrose. My youngest sister Alice had married a man by the name of James Fully.

May - 1846 The Temple at Nauvoo was dedicated. Construction of the Temple at Nauvoo by the Mormons had begun before 1841. After after the exodus from Nauvoo had begun the temple burned in 1848, but the four walls remained.

August 4, 1846 - I went over the river with Maria E. Mott to get married. Elder Thomas Cottam married us at William Mofes house. We lived for awhile with my brother John and two sisters, and then I rented a log house of Grant Cutterback.

October 21, 1847 - Hugh Moon Jr, son of Hugh and Maria Moon was born. There was a man by the name of Robert Wilson working in a copper shop near to where we lived. I went and engaged with him to teach me the copper trade in order to make an outfit to go to Salt Lake Valley, where a company of Saints had gone the year before. I made sufficient to buy tires, iron and materials for a wagon, the timber of which I had got out while at Nauvoo. Hyrum Mott, uncle to my wife, paid for the blacksmithing which was a great blessing to us for we were poor in consequence of sickness. Maria, my wife, had a yoke of small steers and two cows, or rather a cow with a broken hipbone and a little heifer. I made my wagon myself. We hitched up our little team and put our little duds into the wagon, and in company with Moses Whitter, started for Salt Lake Valley on May 15,1848.

June 1 - We got to Mount Pisgah.

June 14 - We reached Council Bluffs.

July 2 - We started for Salt Lake.

July 6 - Crossed Elkhorn - we overtook Amassa Lyman's company under the command of Captain Fleak.

July 8 - We camped on the Platte River.

July 16 - We crossed the Loppefork.

July 28 - A pleasant day, hard drive. About 6 o'clock we drove up between the Platte River and a chain of sand hills, stopped for a while, and then was turned back by Captain Fleak. Went 3/4 mile and camped.

July 30 - Touched at the Platte, had a meeting, divided the company into 3 divisions. Broother A. Lyman gave some good instructions.

August 7 - Met a war party of Sioux Indians. They stopped the company, held a council. We gave them a small donation and they let us go on.

August 19 - Crossed the Laramie forks and the fort.

August 29 - Came to Deer Creek, stopped a week to recruit the stock.

September 28 - Crossed the Green River.

October 11 - Came to Weber.

October 19, 1848 - Got to Salt Lake Valley.

When we got to Salt Lake, Brother Simon Baker invited us to come and camp in his field and help him with his crops. He was very kind to us and helped us all he could. He let us clean some buckwheat and gave us all the green corn we could eat.

December 11 - We moved to our appointed location in the first ward of Great Salt Lake City, Lot no. 1, Block 17 where we built a little cabin 10 by 14 of poles with a dirt roof on it.

July 12, 1850 - John Moon, my brother died of cholera in traveling to Salt Lake City. He was aged 45.

A little while before the death of John Smith, uncle to Joseph Smith, I got the following blessing under his hands.

November 27, 1853 - A blessing by John Smith, patriarch, upon the head of Hugh, son of Mathias and Alice Moon, born August 5, 1815 in Lanceshire, England.

"In the name of Jesus Christ, I place my hands upon your head as a patriarch and seal upon you all the blessings and glories of the Redeemer's Kingdom. You are of the blood and lineage of Ephriam, and a lawful heir to the everlasting priesthood which shall be confirmed upon you, teaching you mysteries which have been kept hid from before the foundation of the world. Your family shall increase like Jacob, be mighty in the priesthood and saviors upon Mount Zion and inherit all the blessings which the Lord hath in store for those who walk uprightly. You shall be a counselor in Zion, have wisdom that no one shall be able to gain, live to see the winding up scene of wickedness and inherit all the blessings and glories of the Redeemer's Kingdom with all your Father's House, even so---Amen."

Also, November 27, 1853, a blessing by the hands of John Smith, Patriarch, upon the head of Maria, daughter of Abel and Lydia Mott, born Upper Canada, July 22, 1823. "In the name of Jesus Christ, I place my hands upon your head and seal upon you a Patriarchal or Father's blessing, inasmuch as you have no father to bless you. You shall have fathers and mothers and friends in abundance, you shall be blessed with health in your habitation, you shall have power to heal the sick in your house and to cast out devils, or do any work or miracle that shall be for the health or happiness of your family. You shall have peace in your house, you shall prosper in all our concerns in life, you shall have wisdom to direct you in righteousness to conduct all your affairs rightly. You shall live to see the winding up scene of this generation and receive all the blessings and glories of the Redeemer's Kingdom with all your father's house, for you are the blood of Ephriam and a rightful heir to that inheritance--Amen."

From what you have read, you are aware of the fact that I had not a living son to my name at the time I was blessed by Father Smith. But shortly after I got acquainted with two young girls by the names of Elizabeth Kemish and Jennett Nicol, which were married to me June 11, 1854, by President Brigham Young.

About 14 years ago I began making strong drink (whiskey), the strong drink which the people had brought with them to Salt Lake was being all used up. They began to inquire who would make a little for medical purposes, so agreeable to the commandment which says, "Wherefore, a commandment I give unto you that you shall not purchase wine, neither strong drink of your enemies, wherefore you shall partake of none except that it is made new among you, yea in this my Father's Kingdom which shall be built upon the earth." Doctrine & Covent, sec. 50 Par. 7

I commenced making in a small way, having saved the refuse while making beet molasses for that purpose. Myself, Peter L. McCue, Bishop of the First Ward where I lived and John Bamford, went to ask President Young's consent to make up the refuse into strong drink. He told me to go ahead and make some, but be careful not to sell it to young men who wanted to sport with it. So I made up all my refuse and sold it and it gave good satisfaction to all who bought it, and when done, they wanted me to make more from grain. So I procured a license from the city council and enlarged my factory and continued making. The business did very well, I made property fast, bought me a farm 21 miles north of Salt Lake City. I built hog pens and yards for cattle and made a good deal on pork and beef every year, feeding the refuse of grain from the still.

Several times the city stopped me from making, and others would begin, but the people were not satisfied with the article they made. Then I would get a license again. The city authorities kept rising on my license til they charged me one hundred and twenty five dollars a month. They made me get a new license every three months for which they charged me three dollars. This same license to be renewed every month. For renewing, they charged me one dollar. All together this amounted to one thousand, five hundred and twenty four dollars a year.

The amount of liquor I made would average about twenty two and a half gallons a day. I found out that the authorities wanted me to quit this business, so I went into partnership with a man by the name of McMasters, a rope and twine manufacturer. We intended to manufacture all kinds of rope, from the cable to the shoemaker's thread, also cloth, from grain sacks to fine linen. To start a bone mill and grind up all the old bones in the country for manure and drive one or two cane mills during the time of making cane molasses, for which purpose I put a water wheel thirty feet high and built a large vat to rat the hemp and flax in the stream, built a shade long enough for common rope making, dug a cellar and built a foundation for a two story house.

When we were busily engaged in making molasses, Brother Thomas Bullock came and brought me written notice of my appointment to go three hundred and fifty miles south with my family and settle there for the purpose of raising cotton and tobacco. I had laid out a great many thousand dollars in my new establishment which I left in the care of Bishop Henry Moon, my brother-in-law and Joseph Booth, my clerk, to do whatever they thought best with it after I had gone south. They helped me to get ready all they possibly could, it was getting late in the fall, buying wagons for the journey, grinding wheat and sacking flour. We were ordered to take one year's breadstuff with us. The women were busy making sacks, wagon covers and packing for the journey. Two of my wives were near their confinement. Elizabeth had a boy four days before we started and was carried to her wagon when we were ready to start.

The neighbors, several of them stopped work to help us get ready, many feeling sorry to lose a useful neighbor. As there are many little items in our traveling south, which are not of general interest, I will put it down in a chapter by itself.

November 7, 1861 - I left Salt Lake City to go south to raise cotton and tobacco. I took five wagons, twelve yoke of oxen, four cows, one pony and two horses. Two of my wives and ten children accompanied me. We took a hired girl by the name of Ester Barnes and five men as teamsters. (Samuel I. Burgess, John Ludd, Richard Hawkins, John Filling and William McMellon) The first night we camped at Cottonwood, at Thomas Bullock's farm.

November 8 - Camped at Dry Creek. Joseph Booth and William Hobbs met us with a load of hay from American Fork which was a great help to the stock, feed being pretty well gone so late in the fall.

November 9 - Camped at Prove River, Joseph Booth and Hobbs came again with hay.

November 10 - Camped at Spanish Fork Bridge.

November 13 - Drove to Chicken Creek, rather windy, dusty and cool. Roads pretty good.

November 14 - Camped at Sevier River at the bridge. The river is about 80 or 90 feet wide, the water rather muddy but good, the bridge is a poor thing. I suppose the man who put it up made money at it. We pitched the tent, set the stove up. Elizabeth came out of her wagon for the first time since we left Salt lake.

November 15 - We camped at Round Valley. When we got the tent pitched and all in it, there came a storm. It hailed and the wind blew tremendously. We expected the tent to blow away. The rain beating thru it in every direction. We finally got the women and children into the wagons, then gave three cheers for Zion and then three for the cotton country.

November 16 - We left Round Valley at 10 o'clock, camped at Cedar Springs. The day was very cold for the little children.

November 18 - Drove up the cattle, as we started, it began snowing and blowing, the cattle could not face it. We turned around to the fort, drove under the lee of their shades till the shower was over then we started again. The day was very cold. Drove to Fillmore.

November 19 - Left Fillmore, it snowed a little but cleared off and was a fine day. We camped at Corn Creek.

November 20 - We left Corn Creek. One wagon mired down, got out, drove to Dog Valley. It blew up cold and covered the ground with snow, very cold.

November 21 - Left Dog Valley, rolled off in fine style, but soon came to a very hard hill, doubled the teams. The chain of the big wagon broke letting the wagon and tongue and cattle go down hill. It soon locked and did no damage. We drove to Pine Creek but there happened to be no creek there, so we took it without water again. It was the coldest day we had . The snow came three or four inches deep. All of the children were crying with cold. We dug up the sagebrush, shoveled away the snow, pitched the tent and made a good fire. Got the children in and the crying ceased.

November 22 - Cold and clear. We got up the cattle and horses and rolled on. The roads were very slippery and rough. We doubled teams three times, traveled through a canyon, on tops of hills; a strange road to Wild Cat Canyon.

November 23 - Left Indian Creek, camped at Beaver. We found it to be a good settlement. The people felt good towards the missionaries traveling to the cotton country.

November 24 - Left Beaver, had about 8 miles up hill in the Beaver Hills. Had a fine day. When we got to the top we came down rapidly, traveled about three miles and camped for the night. We saw scrub pines from four to eight feet high, which I suppose are three or four hundred years old.

November 25 - We traveled fourteen miles, came to some springs, watered the stock and drove on. Camped without water tonight. This is a fine valley, long and narrow, has fine soil but no water for farming purposes. The road today was very good. The weather every day getting warmer.

November 26 - Traveled up hill, passed through Paragoney or Red Creek, roads pretty good, drove through Parawan. Camped at west gate.

November 27 - Traveled mostly up hill, found some sandy road going to Cedar, drove through Cedar and camped. I went and looked at the iron works. They have a doleful and forsaken appearance. Thousands of dollars must have been spent here to no avail.

November 28 - I got a ham, some corn etc, from Bishop Lunt. Traveled over pretty good roads, mountains on the left, hills on the right till we dropped into a narrow valley, traveled awhile. We saw an opening to the south which looked different to any we had seen before on this road. The mountains began to slope down rapidly. We met a cool wind from this opening. We camped at a spring on the left with the best feed we have seen on the road.

November 29 - We started at 15 minutes past 10 o'clock, found good roads, passed Fort Harmony. We drove over a small hill, then down hill in earnest. Camped on Ash Creek. The brethren told us we should soon come to Jacob's Twist and Johnson's Twist, but I thought we had come to the Devil's Twist. It was down into a sandy canyon and remarkably crooked, small rocks about the size of a load of hay. We took the big wagon down first, as I returned from helping them through the boys asked me how the twist went, I told them in the following rhyme:

Sands and rock and solid stones
Sage and cedar, the devil's groans
Crack and whip went Dick and Tom
All to make the wagon come

About two miles of heavy sand then down into another valley called Grape Vine Springs.

December 2 - Traveled to Cottonwood, saw Brother B. F. Blake. He told us he had been called to Washington. He said it looked to be a poor place; he saw three children sick with chills and fever, several of the brethren passed us going to St. George from Grafton. They say there is no land up there of any amount. This place is called Harrisburg. There are two small huts, poorly put up and almost an acre of garden fenced.

December 4 - started to St. George and Washington City (or the place where St. George is to be built)

December 7, 1866 - I (Hugh) left Salt Lake with Elizabeth and her children to go to my farm at Farmington.

March 20, 1868 - Went to Salt Lake City to bring Jennett and her family to the farm to live.

July 9, 1868, Lydia - Sister of Hugh (wife of Henry Moon), died at 10 minutes past 9 o'clock in the morning at Farmington, Utah.

April 12, 1869 - I went north to see the country of Malad, a distance of 90 miles. I bought a farm of Josiah D. Price. I paid $1100 for it and took Jennett and her children to live on it on the 5th day of May.

This appears to he the last of Hugh Moon's writings.

Hugh Moon died September 23, 1870, at Henderson Creek, Oneida County, Idaho at the age of 55. He was buried in a private family plot which is just east of the State Highway and located at the Utah-Idaho state line. Since this was written I-15 was constructed and the plot is still east of I-15 about 80 feet up the hill, it's at the welcome to Idaho sigh.

The following was added by one of his wives, thought to be Elizabeth:

"We lived in St. George five years, we as a family suffered much, all for the Gospel sake, we almost starved to death. Hugh Moon was sick nearly all the time. He was not able to attend to the wants of his family. Bishop Moon came to St. George June 6, 1866. We left St. George June 11, and got to Salt Lake City June 23rd. We sold out all our improvements, but left our cattle in care of Sam Burgess and we never did get a thing for them.

James Carlos Moon was adopted by Hugh and Maria, apparently having lost his parents on the plains crossing in 1848. The emigration record located by Barbara Haggard states: Moon, Hugh age 33; Moon, Maria age 25; Moon, Hugh age 11 or 12; Carlos M. Stephenson age 4, dated Oct. 19, 1848.
Ch.Em, Crossing the Plains, film 929 #194, E-M. His Marriage to Sara Ann Crowlly, info from Lloyd Lofton.


October 21, 1847 Nauvoo, Ill. - Hugh Moon Jr, son of Hugh Moon and Maria Moon. Died, November 7, 1848, Salt Lake City, UT one year and seventeen days old. He died in consequence of the hardships of coming over the plains to Salt Lake.

October 30, 1849, Salt Lake City, UT. - Dorothy Adealie Moon, Daughter of Hugh and Maria Moon was born at 10 o'clock in the morning. Died, August 27, 1907, Willow Creek, ID.

February 10, 1852, Salt Lake City, UT. - Maria Emeline Moon, daughter of Hugh and Maria Moon was born between 11 and 12 o'clock in the morning. Died, August 27, 1855, Salt Lake City, UT. of croup at 8 o'clock at night.

February 21, 1854, Salt Lake City, UT. - Twin daughters were horn; Evaline Moon at two minutes past 1 o'clock(Died 1911) and Angeline Moon at 20 minutes past 4 o'clock. Daughters of Hugh and Maria Moon.

April 8, 1855, Salt Lake City, UT. - Lydia Moon, daughter of Hugh and Jannett Moon was born at 33 minutes past 6 o'clock in the morning. Died, January 8, 1925, Hagerman, ID.

May 5, 1855, Salt Lake City, Ut. - Alice Elizabeth Moon, daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth Moon was born at 45 minutes past 7 o'clock in the evening. Died, March 20,1937, Wallsburgh, ID.

January 25, 1856, Salt Lake City, UT. - Hugh Alexander, son of Hugh and Maria Moon was born at 1 o'clock in the morning. Died, January 29,1879, Grantsville, UT.

August 2, 1856, Salt Lake City, UT. - Ephriam Thomas Moon, son of Hugh and Jennett Moon was born at 3 o'clock in the morning. Died, April 17, 1920, Henderson Creek, ID.

September 22, 1856, Salt Lake City, UT. - Mosiah Moon, son of Hugh and Elizabeth Moon was born at 8 o'clock in the morning. Died, February 5 1948.

September 10, 1857, Salt Lake City, UT. - Manassa Moon, son of Hugh and Jennett Moon was born at 15 minutes past 2 o'clock in the morning. Died, September 7, 1884.

March 18, 1858, Salt Lake City, UT. - Sarah Helen Moon, daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth Moon was born at 5 o'clock in the morning. Died, April 20, 1951, Malad, ID.

November 14, 1858, Salt Lake City, Ut. - Joseph Benjamin Moon, son of Hugh and Jennett Moon was born at 1 o'clock in the morning.
Died, August 22, 1915, Egin, ID.

December 2, 1859, Salt Lake City, UT. - Helorum Moon, son of Hugh and Elizabeth Moan was born at 10 o'clock in the morning.
Died, December3, 1953, Henderson Creek, ID.

May 7, 1860, Salt Lake City, UT. - Jennett Moon, daughter of Hugh and Jennett Moon was born at half past 5 o'clock in the morning. Died, January 3,1866, St George, UT.

July 17, 1860, Salt Lake City, UT. - Lehi Moon, son of Hugh and Maria Moon was born at 4 o'clock in the evening. Died, March 18, 1918, Burger, ID.

November 3, 1861, Salt Lake City, UT. - Helamen Jospeh Moon, son of Hugh and Elizabeth Moon was born at twenty minutes to 8 o'clock. Died, September 5, 1947, Logan, U.

November 17, 1861, Millard, UT. - Levi Moon, son of Hugh and Jennett Moon born at 10 minutes past 9 o ' c lock at Buttermilk Fort. Died, May 10, 1948, St Anthony, ID.

February 5, 1863, St George, UT. - Ruben Moon, son of Hugh and Jennett Moon was born at 5 minutes to 10 o'clock in the morning. Died, October 16,1928, Egin, ID.

October 11, 1863, St George, UT. - Asenath Moon, daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth Moon was born between 5 and 6 o'clock in the morning. Died, July 22, 1931, Tabor, ID.

September 20, 1864, St George, UT. - Maryett Moon, daughter of Hugh and Jennett was born at 1 o'clock in the morning. Died, April 27,1945

September 23, 1865, Ruwaney Moon - daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth Moon was born at 10 minutes to 7 o'clock in the morning. Died, March 1,1900, Leslie, ID.

January 3, 1866, St George, UT. Jennetta Moon - daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth Moon died in St. George UT.

July 2, 1866, Salt Lake City, UT. William Henry Moon - son of Hugh and Jennett was born at 15 minutes to 9 o'clock in the morning. Died, November 8, 1867, Farmington, UT. departed this life at 10 minutes past 5 o'clock in the morning.

December 12, 1867, Farmington, UT. Julia Ann Moon - daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth Moon was born 20 minutes to 2 o'clock in the morning. Died, January 27, 1958.

August 11, 1868, Farmington, UT. Heber Moon - son of Hugh and Jennett Moon was born at 11 o'clock in the morning. Died, November 17, 1947.

January 14, 1870, Farmington, UT. Hortensia Moon - daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth Moon was born at 11 o'clock at night. Died, March 21, 1937.

My family line is as follows

Hugh Moon (1815-1870) married Jennett Nicol(1837-1890). Their 2nd child was, Ephriam Thomas Moon (1856-1920) who married Mary Ann Davis (1854-1934). Their 3rd child was, Archie Ephriam Moon (1888-1954) he married Esther Morse (1892-1949). They had the following 10 children,

1.Thora Elaine Moon (1910-2005)

2.Archie Clevland Moon (1911-2000)

3.Juanita Ann Moon (1912-2004), My Mother

4.Genevieve Moon (1914-1984)

5.Leo Ephraim Moon (1916-1969)

6.Samuel Moon (1918-1918) Died at Birth.

7.Evan Lynn Moon (1919-1982)

8.Thomas Alton Moon (1921-living)

9.Marjorie Moon (1923-1923) Died at Birth.

10.Afton Morse Moon (1924-1990)

Moon Family Home Page

Email me on: