Alice Elizabeth Moon was born May 5, 1855 at family home in Salt Lake City, Utah. She was a daughter of Hugh Moon and Elizabeth Kemmish. She was the oldest child. She was six years old when her father and the rest of the family went to St. George at the request of Brigham Young, to help settle that area and get the cotton industry going. They returned in five years and after a short residence in Salt Lake City and a time in Farmington, they moved Henderson Creek. A year later on September 23, 1870 her father died at the age of 55.

On May 5, 1873, when she was 18 years old she married Joseph Henry Pulley, a brother to the young man her half sister Lydia had married just a month earlier. These young men were full cousins to the girls, being sons of their father's sister Alice Moon Pulley. Alice and Joseph Henry were married in the Endowment House.

They were the parents of eleven children 4 boys and 7 girls.

They lived in American Fork, Utah, in Woodland, Summit County Utah, in Willow Springs, Oneida County, Idaho and in Huston, Custer County, Idaho.

Joseph Henry Pulley died March 8, 1924 in American Fork and is buried there.

Alice Elizabeth Moon Pulley died March 20, 1937 in Duchesne, Utah and is buried in Wallsburg, Wasatch County, Utah.

Angeline and a twin sister Evaline were born on February 21, 1854 in Salt Lake City to Hugh Moon and Maria Emeline Mott.

The family lived for a while in Salt Lake City and then moved to the farm they had acquired in Farmington, Utah. Hugh and his two other wives and their families accepted a call to go south into Dixie country, to help start the cotton industry. Maria and most of her family chose to remain behind.

Adeline married a man named Almie Hall and they went to California to live. Maria went with them. Later some of the other children came out to Visalia, Tulare County to visit them.

At this point we lose track of Angeline. We think that they remained in California and died there.

The name is written Dorothy Adealia in Grandpa's diary, but she appears to have changed it to Dora Adelia, as she was know in her adult life.

She was born October 30, 1849 in Salt Lake City to Hugh Moon and Maria Emmeline Mott. They had arrived in the valley about one year prior to this time and immediately had lost their little son, named Hugh after his father.

Dorothy was the mainstay to her mother the following years when friction arose between the parents over the principle of polygamy. She gave her permission (under pressure and said) for Grandpa to marry two other wives, but she was bitterly opposed to it. She turned against the church and although she still contended Grandpa was the finest man God ever created, and she liked the other wives, there was not much left of her marriage.

On December 14, 1867, Dorothy Adelia married Henry Nelson Robbins and very soon afterwards they went to Malad, Idaho to make their home. Not long after this Grandma Maria left the farm in Farmington and went to Malad where she took up a homestead. This was the break between her and Grandpa. When Grandpa Moon moved his other two wives to a farm he bought in Henderson Creek, Grandma Maria left Malad and went to visit her daughter Angeline in California. When she later returned she went to Willow Creek near Albion, Idaho and homesteaded there. By then Dorothy and her husband had settled there.

Dorothy and her husband Henry Nelson Robbins were the parents of four daughters when he died in June of 1880. On November 4, 1884 she married again to a man named William M. Quinn and to them came two daughters and one son.

Aunt Dorothy died August 27, 1907 in Willow Creek, Cassia County, Idaho and is buried there.

Evaline and Angeline were born on February 21, 1854 in Salt Lake City to Hugh Moon and Maria Emeline Mott.

During her childhood she lived first in Salt Lake, and then on the farm in Farmington. When she about fifteen she went to California with her brother Lee Roy and her Foster brother Carlos to visit her sister Angeline who had married and was living in Visalia. Their mother had gone down with Angeline and her husband Almie Hall earlier.

Soon after her return Evaline married James Driscoll. They became the parents of a baby boy who died shortly after birth.

Sometime later, her husband James was killed in a horse accident.

Then she married Craten Hawkins, but his marriage ended in divorce.

Her third husband was Alexander Riveux.

After her first Husbands death Evaline's mother came to live with her and as far as we know remained there and died there.

Evaline passed away in 1911 and is buried in the Albion cemetery beside her mother and her sister Dorothy Adelia Quinn.

Helaman Joseph Moon, Uncle Joe was born November 3, 1861 in Salt Lake City. His parents were Hugh Moon and Elizabeth Kemmish and he had two sisters and two brothers in his own Mother's family besides 10 other brothers and sisters in his fathers other families. He became a traveller at a very early age. He was only four days old when he and his mother were carried to the wagon and laid carefully on the bed in the wagon box and they with the others in their party began a 28 day trip to Dixieland at the call of the prophet of the Lord. They remained there for five years and returned because of his fathers illness.

In 1869 the families moved to Henderson Creek to a farm their father had just purchased and there a year later, September 23, 1870 their father passed away.

On June 24 1915, Uncle Joe married Louise Westwood Moon. She was a daughter of his Uncle Henry Moon and Henry's 2nd wife Temperance Westwood. They were married in Ogden, Utah. They were the parents of four children, three sons and one daughter. Uncle Joe was 53 when he married Aunt Louise.

Uncle Joe and his older brother Mosiah, Uncle Cy, by inheritance and by purchase came into possession of the greater part of the family Property in Henderson Creek area and well know, successful farmers there.

Aunt Louise passed away on October 28, 1937.

Uncle Joe died on September 5, 1947.

Helorum Moon, Uncle Lorie was born December 2, 1859 in Salt Lake City, Utah a son of Hugh Moon and Elizabeth Kemmish. He was also a part of the great trek to the south when, called by Brigham Young more than 300 people took their families and their few belongings and travelled south to settle a new area and start the cotton industry. Helorum was two years old and seven when they returned five years later with a very sick father. He was only 11 years old when his father died after settling his families on farms at Henderson Creek, Idaho.

The big boys in these families had to work hard to help their mothers support big families. There were 23 living children in the families of his three wives when Grandpa died. They remember real hardships and privations, one I thought was rather special: The families were large and they just couldn't afford new shoes for everyone in the winters (summers they went barefoot) so they bought one pair sized so several could wear them. When one went out into the cold and snow he would put on the shoes and when he came in he would take them off at the door, and the next one going out would put them on for his trip outside. That way they all had a turn at the shoes. Also they were very accustomed to their cloths having patches upon patches.

On February 19, 1883 Uncle Lorie married Charlotte Harris from Portage, Utah. They were the parents of nine children, seven boys and two girls.

They lived first in East Portage, and then to the farm in Henderson Creek, where they remained and raised their family. Two of their sons were killed in mill accidents at Crowther Grist Mill in Malad. Uncle Lorie was a good hunter, he got his deer every year.

After 69 years together, he and Aunt Charlotte were separated for a very short while when he died December 3, 1952, and she died 10 days later on December 13, 1952.

I remember Hugh took me, during our first year to visit Uncle Lorie and Aunt Charlotte. They were quite old and were sitting out on the steps of their front porch enjoying the cool of the evening, and it was a very pleasant visit.

Hortensia Moon, Aunt Ten was born in Farmington, Utah on January 14, 1870 to Hugh Moon and Elizabeth Kemmish. The family was in process of moving to their new home in Henderson Creek, Idaho, but Elizabeth had remained in Farmington for the occasion.

Aunt Ten was the youngest of this family. Her father Hugh Moon had not been well since his mission to Dixie where he contacted Malaria, and he was hurrying to get the family settled. Less than a year after they moved to Henderson Creek, on September, 23, 1870 hr passed away.

On August 5, 1891 Aunt Ten married Alma Heber Green at her mother's home in Henderson Creek. They lived at Henderson Creek for several years and then moved to McCammon.

They were the parents of four children, all girls.

Aunt Ten died March 21, 1937 in Pocatello, Idaho and was buried in McCammon, Idaho.

Her husband died September 4, 1943 at Lava Hot Springs, Idaho and he was buried in McCammon also.

Hugh Mathias Moon was born January 25, 1856 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Hugh Moon and his first wife Maria Emeline Mott. Nine years before they had named their first son Hugh Moon Jr.. but that little boy had died shortly after their arrival in Salt Lake from exposure suffered crossing the plains.

This father had been especially anxious for a boy child and grieved greatly at the loss of their first little Hugh. After four lovely little daughters he again was blessed with a son, who became the "apple of his eye" and he took him everywhere with him. When he received his call to take his families and go south to Dixie he insisted on taking this little boy with him, even though the mother refused to go.

After having her son gone for five years Maria was happy to have the little fellow back with her. Shortly after his return Maria took her family and went to Malad, Idaho where her married daughter was then living. Later she moved and took up a homestead in Willow Creek, near Abion, Idaho.

On February 16, 1898 Hugh married Martha Louisa McBride at Oakley, Idaho. They settled in the Burly area and became the parents of nine children, Seven sons and two daughters.

Hugh's father died in 1870. Maria went to his sickbed and remained until he died, but the children had no further contact with their father or his other families until this interesting experience in 1932.

Heber Grandson of Jennett, decided to take his family on a little trip and they decided to go up Boise way. As a sort of after thought they ask Hebers mother, who had then lost her husband, to go with them. At night-fall they came to a place they thought would make good camping and Heber went to ask a man in his field nearby for permission. Heber found his name was "Moon" and remarked that had been his mother's name and so they discovered that this man was the son of Hugh MATHIAS (Alexander) Immediately the man's home and after supper were taken out in the country to visit his father. The first time in more than 60 years this half-brother and sister had seen each other. It was a happy occasion. The next year Uncle Hugh came to the Wells-Moon reunion and further contact was enjoyed.

Hugh Mathias Alexander Moon died November 30, 1933 and is buried in Burly.

John Moon was born June 22, 1870 at Henderson Creek, Idaho. He was the youngest child of Hugh Moon and Jennett Nicol and was only three months old when his father died. To help in supporting her large family, her mother married again while he was still only a couple years old, to a Fred Stockfeld.

He grew up in a family surrounded by brothers and sisters, there being eleven (9 living) in his mothers family and nine in Grandma Lizzie's family who lived very near and were close.

John grew up at Henderson Creek and Malad where his mother and her children went to live when after divorcing Stockfeld she married a Mr. William Bradbury. Mr. Bradbury apparently was very good to Grandma and the children and for the first time in her life, she was relieved of hardship.

After his mothers death, John spent quite a bit of time up at Egin Bench where several of his married brothers lived. There he met Sarilda Saderus. She was the daughter of Aunt Celia Whitaker and Uncle Charles Sanderus (not related to John, but relatives on our Wells line.)

John and Sarilda were married in the Logan Temple on November 5, 1896 and returned to make their home in Ora, Fremont County, Idaho.

They were the parents of seven children, three sons and four daughters, one born two months after John's untimely death from a heart attack. He had complained of being very tired and Serilda encouraged him to go on to bed and she would come as soon as she had finished some task she felt had to be done. When she came to bed he was lying very quiet and did not wake as she quietly got into bed. Next morning she found him dead beside her. That was October 27, 1914.

Aunt Sarilda lived 25 years longer and died October 27, 1939. They are both buried in the cemetery at Ora, Fremont, Idaho.

Joseph Benjamine Moon was born November 14, 1858 at 1:00 AM a third son, of Hugh Moon and Jennett Nicol at their home in Salt Lake City.

He was only two years old when Hugh and his family were called to go to Southern Utah, new St. George to help colonise that area and start the cotton industry. They remained there for five years, During which time Hugh suffered with Malaria. When Benjamine was about seven His Uncle Henry came to bring the family back to Salt Lake City. Here they remained for a couple of years while Hugh regained his health to some degree. Then they moved to a farm in Farmington for about a year, and then Hugh bought a farm in Henderson Creek in southern Idaho and moved his wives Elizabeth and Jennett there. Maria and her family moved up into the Rupert area. Hugh's health did not improve as he had hoped it would in this dry area and he passed away on September 23, 1870.

Benjamine's mother was left a widow with eleven small children, all under thirteen, and she herself only 33 years old. The children were all good workers and they helped to carry the responsibility. Benjamine was only 11 but he was able to work like a man. He attended school in Henderson Creek. When he was 23 on October 4, 1882, he married Clara Malinda Wells at Portage, Utah. He was one of four of the Moon family to marry into the Erastus N. Wells Sr. family.

They lived first in Henderson Creek, then in Willard and in April 1890 they moved to Egin Bench, where they acquired a farm and built a home and remained for the rest of their lives.

Uncle Ben was quite tall. He was medium complexioned. He was kind and very spiritual. He helped to build the church and the school buildings. He was a good neighbour, a devoted husband and a good father.

Aunt Clara was quite sickly for the last several years of her life and Uncle Ben gave her every care and attention possible. She passed away September 17, 1899 at Egin Bench and was buried there. In the fall of 1903 Uncle Ben married Adelia Whitaker Call, who was Aunt Clara's aunt and very much loved by his children.

Uncle Ben and Aunt Delia had a very happy life together for about twelve years. Then they had just returned from a rather extensive trip where they had visited their many relatives in Utah and Idaho, and Uncle Ben was busy catching up on the work at home. One day while picking apples he was stung by a bee and died immediately. This was August 16, 1915 at his home in Egin Bench. He was buried beside Aunt Clara in the Parker Cemetery in Egin, Fremont county, Idaho.

Aunt Delia lived on at the family home until December 14, 1932 when she too passed away. She was brought to Willard, Utah for burial.

Julie Ann Moon, Aunt Jule was born December 12, 1867 at Farmington, Utah. She was a daughter of Hugh Moon and Elizabeth Kemmish. When she was only a few months old her father bought a farm in southern Idaho and moved his families there to Henderson Creek. A year later on September 23, 1870 he died and left three families totaling 23 living children, four having preceded him on death.

Aunt Jule, like the other Moon children attended school in the little community where she lived. Like the others she learned to cook, sew (mostly patch) and mostly she learned to work.

On January 1, 1895 she married to Jesse Nicholas Ward at a ceremony performed in her mother's home at Henderson Creek.

They were the parents of eight children, 6 boys and 2 girls. They lived in Woodruff for about thirteen years and then moved to Malad where they remained the rest of their lives.

Uncle Jess died April 25, 1955 and was buried in Malad.

Aunt Jule passed away on January 27, 1958 and she too was buried in the Malad cemetery.

Lehi Moon was born July 17, 1860 at 4:00 PM. according to Hugh Moon's diary. According to records kept by his mother's family he was born July 21, 1857. He was born in Salt Lake City the son of Hugh Moon and Maria Emmaline Mott.

He and his sister with their mother on the family farm, while their father and the rest of the family went to St. George at the request of Brigham Young, help settle that area and get the cotton industry going.

When they returned he was about six years old. His mother moved with her family up into the Malad area, from then on living separated from her husband, because of their differences on the polygamy question.

LeRoy as he was then called married on June 11, 1887 to Lucy Ann Jeffs. They became parents of six children, 4 girls and 2 boys.

They lived at different times in Hazel, Cassia County, Idaho then Star, Ada County and then in Rigby, Bingham County, Idaho.

He died March 17, 1918 at Berger, Idaho and was buried in Twin Falls, Idaho.

Lydia Amelia Moon was born in Salt Lake City, on April 8, 1855, at 6:33 AM., the eldest child of Hugh Moon and Jennett Nicol. At the call of President Brigham Young, she went with her parents to Settle Utah's Dixie, leaving Salt Lake on November 7, 1861. They remained in St. George for five years, suffering great hardships and privations. Her father was sick the greater part of the time with malaria and finally his brother-in-law came down and moved the family back to Salt Lake City, arriving June 11, 1866.

In 1868 the family moved back to their farm in Farmington, Utah where they remained for a short while before moving to Idaho. Between the Utah, Idaho border and Malad, Hugh Moon had purchased some land from Jesiah Price and moved two of his wives there. There Hugh Moon died on September 23, 1870, just a year later.

Lydia Moon was married on April 8, 1873, at the age of 18, to her cousin David Alexander Pulley. For about fifteen years they lived in Malad, then Ogden and back to Malad. At these locations eight of their eleven children were born. About 1888 they moved up to Egin Bench where their other three children were born. In all there were five sons and six daughter.

Hugh Wells remembers visiting his Aunt Alice and Uncle Dave and their family on a very fine farm on Egin Bench. He remembers the many big pine trees around their place. He remembers being invited to visit their big watermelon patch where they raised wonderful watermelons which were trucked all over. Wagon loads were hauled into Yellowstone Park where they were sold. He also remembers that they had goats which they milked.

They finally moved to Hagerman, Gooding County, Idaho where they remained for the rest of their lives.

Aunt Lydia died in Hagerman on January 8, 1925 and was buried there.

Uncle Dave died there October 3, 1940 and was also buried there.

Manassa Moon was born September 10, 1857 at 2:15 AM in Salt Lake City, Utah, a son of Hugh Moon and Jennett Nicol.

He was four years old when the family was called to go to Dixie land to promote the cotton industry. He was nearly nine when they had to return, because of his fathers illness. The family remained in Salt Lake for a couple of years, then spent a year on their farm at Farmington. Then Grandpa bought a farm up in southern Idaho at a place called Henderson Creek. Here he moved his two wives and their families, but Grandma Maria, who had turned against the principle of polygamy left and went up into the Rupert area with her children.

Grandpa Moon died when Manassa was only thirteen years old. The children had all been taught to work and there was plenty to do as they grew up in Henderson Creek. He attended school there and became a farmer.

At the age of 27 Manassa married Margaret Marinda Wells on the 3rd of January 1884 at Portage, Utah, at the home of her parents by Dr. Anderson.. He took his little bride to his farm in Henderson Creek to the little three room home he had. There with all he had accumulated they began their married life, which ended 8 months later when Uncle Nas was killed in a farm accident. He was riding a load of wild hay in the field when they hit a bump and a bunch of hay slid off the rack taking him with it. He fell so as to be run over by the wheels. He died a few days later, in September 1884.

Ruwaine Moon was born on September 23, 1965 in St. George , Washington Co. Utah where her parents Hugh Moon and Elizabeth Kemmish were living in response to a call from Brigham Young to help settle the Dixie land and start the cotton industry. When she was a little less than two, because of her father's illness the family came back to Salt Lake and shortly thereafter Ellizabeth's family moved to the farm in Farmington, Utah, where they remained until 1869 when Grandpa bought the farm in Henderson Creek, Idaho, and they moved there.

On Ruwaine's 5th birthday (Sept. 23, 1870) her poor sick father passed away at the age of only 55. He had never been very well since he had nearly died in Montrose, Iowa, before they came west. Then he had malaria nearly all the while they were in St. George. At his death his three wife's and 23 of his 27 children survived him. Their lives continued to be a struggle. Ruwaine recounted to her children how she and her brothers and sisters of course, went barefoot in the summertime, and in the winter they had to make one pair of new shoes do for the whole family, so of course they never fit any of them, but whomever had to go outside would slip the shoes on at the door and when they came in the shoes would be taken off and left at the door for the next one who had to go out.

At 16 on July 5, 1881, Ruwaine married Oscar James Wells (one of 4 of the Moon children to marry a member of the Erastus Wells family.) They became the parents of 7 children, 3 boys and 4 girls. They lived for a time in Henderson Creek, then at Leslie, at Huston, at Darlington and then back to Leslie.

Ruwaine was a small woman, with brown hair and blue gray eyes. She was a good cook and house keeper, but more important a good home-maker, maintaining a home where parents and children enjoyed peace and love. Linda remembers her mother playing house with the children. There was a great love and understanding between these parents, and after her death at 34, Uncle Tot never found anyone who could take her place.

She died on March 1, 1900 at their home in Leslie, Custer County and was buried there, as was her husband 39 years later. He died July 10, 1939.

In a well remembered valley where the river forms a Z
There's a section of God's country that is Heaven most to me.
Close besides the flowing waters of a river clear and blue
Stands a cottage, weather beaten, by the rain and wind storms too.

Not a place in all creation, have I found, where ever I roam
That so stirs the heart's emotions as this simple cottage home.
Mother was the firm dictator, ruling with a hand of love
But she has gone to be with Jesus in that mansion up above.

Father lived and loved and labored among his bunch of girls and boys
Doing deeds so kind and gentle, filling us with love and joy.
Now it's past, but not forgotten, all these simple bygones days
With memories that brighten in a multitude of ways.

Just a simple cottage homestead, but with Mother and with Dad
It was the fairest earthly place that children ever had.
In that well remembered valley where the river forms a Z
There's a section of God's country that is heaven most to me.

Sarah Helen Moon, Aunt Ellen was born March 18, 1858 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Hugh Moon and Elizabeth Kemmish. She was only three years old when her parents were called with other's to go to Utah's Dixieland to establish a new community and get the cotton industry going. They remained in St. George for five years, suffering great hardships and privations. Her father was sick the greater part of the time with malaria and finally his brother-in-law came down and moved the family back to Salt Lake City, arriving June 11, 1866. Here they remained for a couple of years while Hugh regained his health to some degree. Then they moved to a farm in Farmington for about a year, and then in 1869 Hugh bought a farm in Henderson Creek in southern Idaho and moved his wives Elizabeth and Jennett there. That became their permanent home. In 1870 Hugh died at the age of 55.

She was married to Charles James Clark on April5, 1879 in Malad. They settled on a farm west of Henderson Creek and here Aunt Ellen lived for the rest of her long life, 93 years. They were the parents of eight children, 5 boys and 3 girls.

Uncle Charlie was away from home a great deal. He worked up in Alaska a lot and was away with cattle and other jobs.

At home, Aunt Ellen raised her children to be good workers and good citizens. She always had her home full of relatives and friends, and it was a pleasure to be around her.

I remember when Hugh took me to meet her and we had such a nice visit although she was totally blind and very old. This was not long before she died. Her house was neat and clean although she lived alone.

Uncle Charlie died December 11, 1926, and also was buried in Malad.
Moon Family Home Page

Email me on: