Mary Barnett
Wife of Frank Moon the son of Helorum and
Charlotte Harris Moon.

It was while I was working at Peck’s Hotel that I met Frank Leslie Moon and went out on dates with him. Frank and his brothers, Ira, Arthur, and Ralph Moon, used to come to Malad in a sleigh in the wintertime. They picked up every girl in Cherry Creek and Henderson Creek that was out on the road looking for a ride to Malad on Saturday night to come to the dance. Then when the dance was over the boys in town used to take them down to where the horses were kept and they would wait until the boys from Cherry Creek took their girls home that lived in Malad. Then they all went home together. Sometimes it was morning before they got home, as it was six miles from Malad to Cherry Creek and eight miles to Henderson Creek. I was the girl that Frank Moon came to take to the show and dance. The show cost a dime and the dance cost fifty cents.

It was not long before I was going steady with Frank Moon. We went together for two years. Frank was trying to get up enough courage to ask mother and father if we could get married. After getting my parents’ consent we started to plan our wedding. I had quite a time with my mother and sisters. Although mother had given her consent, she still did not want me to get married and my sisters, Lizzie and Alice, said everything against marriage, as they were both married and having a hard time getting along and raising their families on what their husbands made. My sisters told me I would lose all my hair and I would get ugly and all I would do was have babies. But we were like everyone else and so we were married on February 14, 1917 (Valentine’s Day), in the LDS Temple at Logan, Utah.

We left Malad on the twelfth day of February in the morning at nine o’clock with Jessie, Lucy, Joe and mother with us in a big sleigh pulled by a big team that belonged to grandpa Moon. His name was Helorum Moon. We were going up the two mile canyon over by the Weston Reservoir and down big canyon to my sister Louie May and Fred Favory’s. Their ranch was on the Weston Creek. There was lots of snow and no trail. We did not know for sure if we would make it. We went right over fences and we had to rest the horses every five minutes. The horses would sit down on the snow to rest it was that deep. But I guess when you are going to get married nothing will stop you. So we got to Louie and Fred’s at seven o’clock that night. The next day we bucked the snow from Weston to north of Preston, Idaho, where another sister, Alice, and her husband, Dick Thomas, lived. The next morning my twin brother, Joe, took us into Preston where we caught the streetcar. I felt bad to leave my twin brother, as we were very close. I remember one other time when we were not very old and I went over to stay with Louie at Weston and I cried a whole week until mother had to come and get me. When we went home Joe met us at two-mile canyon. I got out of the buggy and we stood on the road and cried with our arms around each other.

After we were married in the Logan Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we stayed the night in the Eccles Hotel in Logan, Utah. The next day we went back to Preston where my sister, Alice, and aunt Nellie Perkins had planned a party for us at aunt Nellie and uncle Joe’s house. There were uncle Joe’s family and Frank and I. We had not been together since we left Weston several years earlier and we had a lot of fun. The party became a little rowdy. We were all singing around the organ and someone gave me a push. I fell and hit my head on a corner of the mopboard and went out like a lamp. Everyone got excited and I felt foolish when I came to. I got up and tried to forget it but I passed out again. I guess I got a bad bump but I was all right. The next day we went back to Weston where Louie had planned a party and had invited all the people on the Weston Creek that we used to know when we lived in Weston. My father had come over in a sleigh and was there at Louie’s to meet us. We had a nice time and we got some nice presents at both parties.

The next day we all went home together. When we got out of two mile canyon, Frank and I went to Henderson Creek. We stayed off and on in Henderson Creek at grandma Moon’s place as Frank had some horses and cows there. Sometimes we would go up to my mother’s and stay. We did this until spring. In March, we tried to get to our ranch up Little Valley but did not make it until April.

In April, Frank and I started from grandpa Moon’s one morning in a sleigh with grandpa’s big team to go to Malad to pick up a load of lumber and then go on to our ranch in Little Valley. The sleigh was piled high and we were sitting on top. There was lots of snow that winter and the nearer we got to the ranch the more snow. We did not make it to the house, which at that time was not more than a shell. We had to turn back and return to Malad. On the road about a mile from Malad was a one-room house. Frank got to the house with the sleigh and we put our lumber in this house. I handed it to Frank and he stored it. Then we went back to Moon’s that night. The next day we started out again with Ira Moon with us. I stayed with mother in Malad and they took the lumber up to the house. They made a trail with the empty sleigh first.

In May we were able to get in and out of the ranch on a regular basis. We did not have much in the house, just a cot and a stove. Frank lined the inside of the house with lumber. It had one small window. We did not have any drinking water on our ranch so at first we got our water from mother and took it in milk cans. A little later we purchased a big tank and then we went up Little Valley to the third ranch (there were only four ranches in the valley). There was a big spring there and we would fill our tank. It took us two hours to fill it. I always went with Frank but I could not ride on the tank, so he would hitch the buggy on the back of the tank wagon and I would ride in the buggy.

Frank plowed all he could that fall and planted grain. The next fall when we harvested our grain we made $900. We sure had a nice crop. You could walk out in it and get lost it was so tall. My father and mother used to come up to see us. My father, who had always farmed, thought we had a wonderful place and so did we. We had cows, pigs, and chickens. We milked the cows and separated off the cream, which we took to the creamery in Malad. Frank dug a cellar and covered the top with trees, brush, and dirt. I had a box nailed in the cellar and I would put wet gunnysacks on the box to keep my milk and butter cool.

We always took our cream to Malad on Saturday. We would do our chores early and go to Malad, stop at the creamery, get our check, and then go get our groceries for the next week. We would go to a show and then go home. I remember one time I went with Frank to plow on the flat part of our ranch. It was just before my first baby was born. It was lonely for me at the house all day so I went with him whenever I could. For me to get up there and have something to sit in while he plowed, he put the buggy in back of the plow. He fastened it with wire. We got halfway up the hill and the wire broke and back down the hill went the buggy and I. At the bottom of the hill was a big wash, not a fun landing place, so Frank yelled at me to jump which I did, right out over the wheel. I guess I was lucky as I missed the wheel and landed safe. I do not know which of us was scared the most. We made many trips the first summer down to grandpa Moon’s to put up hay and then we took a load home. Sometimes I went and sometimes I stopped off at mothers in Malad. The first winter we lived in Malad and went to the ranch as soon as we could in the spring. I was there alone one day. Frank was on the hill plowing. We had heard that a man had broken out of jail in Malad and was last seen headed for the hills east of Malad. I was worried to stay alone at the ranch. This day I went outside and I could see a man coming down the hill toward our house. I started to run to where Frank was up on the hill but I could not run very fast as it was just before my son, Dean, was born. So I set down and thought to myself even if he kills me I cannot go on. He kept coming toward me and then I could see it was a man that we knew. He asked me if I had seen his horses. He had turned them loose in the hills and he could not find them. I told him I had not seen them and he left and went up and found Frank and told him he had better come down to me as he had nearly scared me to death.

We did not get to church very much after we were married although prior to our marriage Frank Moon served as superintendent of the Sunday school in Cherry Creek for nine years. He also played basketball for the ward. It was in the year 1918 that our first son was born. His name was Dean Orean Moon. He was born April 16, 1918, at the home of my father and mother in Malad, Idaho. Mother performed the midwife duties and continued to take care of me. Frank would go back and forth to the ranch. As soon as I was able, baby Dean and I moved back to the ranch with him.

The buggy team we used when we first got married was Min and Tony. We found a spring on our place, which Frank dug out and was going to pipe to the house. One morning Frank could not find old Tony and when we did find her she was in the spring on her back, dead. We raised some nice colts from Min and Tony.

I think it was the third summer we could not get our grain harvested when we wanted it done so the four men that had ranches up Little Valley went in together and bought a header, a machine pulled by six horses which cut the heads off the grain stalks and elevated them into a wagon which followed along. The wagon then hauled them to the threshing site. After they got their harvesting done, they did custom work to help make the payment so I was left on the ranch from sunup to sundown. I was awful lonely. I remember once I got so lonely I put baby Dean in his buggy and started down the road to Malad and my mother’s, which was about three miles away. We made it all right and Frank came after us that night.

Before we went to Little Valley to live no one up there would kill a snake as they said they ate the mice and ground hogs, so the area was alive with snakes. The first summer we killed fifty.

We wanted to have a garden on the ranch so Frank dug a ditch above us and brought the spring runoff water down over the hill by our house and watered our garden.

As the other ranchers did not live on their ranches much in the winter, we could not keep the road open, so we decided to buy a lot in Malad and build us a house. We were able to buy a lot from Dave Thomas just around the corner from mother. We built a one-room house.

I remember the fall after my son Dean was born we decided to go to Brigham City on Peach Day and get some peaches. We left the ranch early one morning the day before Peach Day, drove down to mother’s, picked up Lucy and Jessie, my sisters, and headed for Brigham City. Frank drove the team quite fast. We had Min and Tony and they were good travelers. We had a white-topped buggy with hay in the back for the horses. When we got to Corinne old Tony slowed down and then laid down in the harness Frank got out of the buggy, unhitched her, and led her around. He said he thought she had a bellyache. We also ate some lunch that we had with us. After a while we hitched up the team and started again. But it was getting late and was dark before we got to Brigham. The lights were all on in Brigham and the town was full of people and Frank could not find a room. We did not know what to do as my baby was not very old. We had to find a place to stay. I don’t know why he did what he did, but Frank turned around and started back north out of Brigham. When we came to a place in the road where the road ran north and south, east and west, he stopped the team. I asked him why we were stopping. He told me to hold the lines as he was going to the second house from the corner and get a room. I asked him why that house. He answered that in that house was a room we could get. He left and went to the house, knocked on the door, and a lady came to the door and asked him what he wanted. He told her he would like a room for his wife and baby, as we could not find a room in Brigham. She told him she had a room he could have. She said, “I have been keeping that room for a mother and baby. I knew they would come.” Frank came back and got us. When I got to the door and saw the lady, it came to me that I had met her some place. She was very nice and gave us a nice big room and our supper. After supper, we started to talk. She said she could not help but feel like we had met before. All of a sudden it came to me that we had met in the Logan temple. We were married the same day. As we talked, she said they had called her up all day to rent her room. She said it seemed like she was waiting for a mother and baby. The next morning we all got ready to go into town to see the parade and buy peaches, but before we went she took my baby and I outside and took our picture. We stayed in Brigham until after dinner then got our peaches and started home.

It was about this time that the First World War broke out. Frank was not drafted as we had a baby, but Ira Moon had to go. I remember how hard it was for grandma Moon to see him go. We all went to the train depot to see him off. I did not know at that time I would see the time when I would have sons and grandsons in other wars.

My twin brother Joe, who had been sick on and off with kidney trouble all his life, married a girl named Lola House in 1919. After they were married, they went out to work on a farm in Pocatello Valley west of Malad and Joe got worse. He would pass out. He had what they called Bright’s disease or kidney trouble. He got so bad father took him to a hospital in Salt Lake City. There he got somewhat better and came home but he was nearly blind and severely undernourished. The doctor said to take him to Lava Hot Springs, Idaho, and let him rest under the care of the doctor in Lava. Father took him and Lola, his wife, up there. They found a house they could live in and a doctor to care for him, and then father came home. The next night we got word to come, Joe was dying. We started out for Lava in three cars. He died before we arrived. He died leaving a wife and a baby that was born after his death. I sure felt terrible about losing my brother, as we were very close. The house they had rented was back of a cafe and dance hail and we waited all night for the undertaker to come from Malad, while that music played most of the night. We left Lava with Joe just as it was coming light.

Our second son, Franklin Joseph Moon, was born on August 27, 1921, in our one room house in Malad. We were living in Malad going back and forth to the ranch. At the time Frank was born, my sister Lizzie delivered a baby boy, Joseph Naldon Anderson. They were just a week apart and my mother took care of our babies and us until we were well again. That same fall and winter we had some nice looking colts. Right after Christmas we noticed one of our colts was sick and could hardly breathe. We got the doctor and found that his lungs were full of shots. Three of our neighbors’ boys had gotten guns for Christmas. Our colt died. One of our neighbors wanted the other neighbors to pay for our colt but they said, “How do I know it was my boy”. So, we did not get any money out of them. Another of our colts broke his leg in the hills and when Frank found him he had to kill him. We had bad luck with our horses.

In the year, 1922 Frank’s brother, Arthur, was hurt in the flourmills in Malad. They tried to take him to Salt Lake City. Frank Moon went with him and they took him off the train at Ogden where he died. He left a wife and a daughter. His son was born after his death.

It was about this time that we thought just a lot in Malad was not big enough for us so we sold our lot and one room house and moved back to the ranch and started to build on the back of our one room house on the ranch. That summer we were on the ranch the snakes were awful bad. I could hardly let Dean and Frank out of the house. I always told Dean to take care of Frank.

One day I let them out to play, and told Dean if he saw anything crawling on the ground to get hold of Frank’s hand and run to the house. They had not been out very long when I heard Dean give a scream. I ran to where they were and there just crawling under the house was this big snake. I took my two little boys in the house and called Frank who was working close by. He came running to see what was the trouble. I told him about the snake. Ed Vaughn, a neighbor, happened to be passing by. Frank called to him and he came. The two men worked for about an hour before they could find just where he was under the house, although they could hear his rattles. At last Frank took off one of the boards and killed the snake. There were times when I was alone on the ranch that I had to kill them myself. I have seen a snake swallow a ground hog whole and then sometimes we would run over the snake and cut him in two with the wagon wheels and there would be the ground hog.

I used to have a magpie that always scattered my feed for the pigs that I had in a bucket by the door. One day I was there alone but I though I would try and shoot him so I left a crack in the door and put the gun on the top of the bucket. Mr. Magpie came and I got him. That was the first time I had shot a gun.

Another time we had been bothered with rats. They would keep us awake at nights running around on the outside. We could never find them in the day. One day I went out to the side of the house where Frank kept his harnesses and other things and we had a long piece of stovepipe laying on a shelf that Frank had made and in the pipe was the rat. So I was going to get him. At one end of the pipe I stuffed a sock and the other end I put in a barrel with water in it. Then I tipped the pipe up and the rat drowned in the barrel of water. At that time, Frank was plowing every bit of land we had, hills and all, and when we harvested in the fall we had wide track wagons to keep from tipping over.

On July 23, 1923, our third son was born. We named him Arthur LaVor. As we did not have a place in Malad he was born at my mother’s.

After LaVor was born and I was well we went back to the ranch for the rest of the summer. As the crops were not very good and we had to move from the ranch for the winter months, we decided to go down to Magna were my two sisters, Alice and Lucy, lived with their families and find work at the mills. So we took our livestock back down to grandpa Moon and they were going to take care of them until spring. We started out in our Model T Ford with what we needed at the time. When we got into Brigham something went wrong with the car and we had to stay in Brigham that night. The next day we got our car fixed and went on down to Magna where my sister Alice lived. It was only a few days after we got there that Frank went to work for Kennecott Copper Corp. in the copper mill.

We were crowded at Alice’s living all together so we started to look for a house. We were still there for Christmas. We had not found a place to live.

Frank Moon was on the afternoon shift. It was on the third day of January 1924. Frank had gone to work and Dick Thomas had come home. He worked the day shift. We were eating supper when there was a knock at the door. Dick opened the door. They asked him to go outside. He went out with them and they told Dick that Frank and been killed in the mills. I did not get to go to him as they had taken him to Salt Lake City by then. I did not know what to do - me and my baby, LaVor (five months old), and Frank (two years old), and Dean (five years old). I felt so bad that I could not do anything. Alice helped take care of my children. I had planned to go home to Malad the next day but found out I could not take Frank’s body with me, as they did not have him ready, so I had to come without him. Alice came with me on the train. Frank’s folks met us at the depot. They were expecting Frank to come home with us. I thought I could not stand it, I cried so much I had no milk for my baby. Frank’s body came the next day. We took him down to my mother’s place in Malad. Frank Moon had a big funeral at Malad Second Ward. He was known throughout the valley. The bishop that talked at his funeral said if you wanted to find Frank Moon you would find him at home with his family, never loafing on the streets. I loved him very much. The next fall Dean, my oldest boy, started school. He had been sick a lot with colds so the doctor said he would have to have his tonsils out about a month before school started. We had no hospital, so they took them out in the doctor’s office. I don’t know which of us was the most scared, Dean or I. I chased him all around the place before I could catch him. Grandma Moon and one of the boys came and took us up in their Model T Ford. We stayed all day in the doctor’s office. Dean was lying on a cot. That was my first experience of that nature alone with my family.

My oldest son, Dean, was very good to help me. I guess he took the place of his father at that time. I was working, Dean was in school, and Frank and LaVor were with my mother in the daytime. I had one—half day off each week. That day I did my washing. It seemed like Frank, my second son, took my father for his father because every place dad went Frank would be with him. One day my father went to the canyon to get wood. After he had gone we missed Frank. The other kids said he had crawled up under the seat and Grandpa took him with him. The rest of the kids were mad because they did not get to go. I lived with my parents for six years. I lost my ranch to a man in Malad that had a mortgage on it so I had no home.

Obtained from Rick Moon, Grandson of Mary and Frank.